The exquisite and exotic-sounding beverage: Moon Milk is a very commonly drank bedtime drink around the Indian Subcontinent. It is known for stimulating slumber. It contains Indian spices like Ashwagandha, turmeric, etc., which helps in relaxing our mind and also encourages sound sleep.
If you are someone who consumes ashwagandha every day here’s our list of best ashwagandha gummies to try out.
After knowing that a milk beverage of all the things in the world can be de-stressing and induce sleep on top of it, you are bound to be curious about its ingredients. Well, so here it is:
- Ashwagandha: known as the Indian ginseng, Ashwagandha is an annual evergreen shrub, found around the Indian subcontinent. The herb has several benefits according to Ayurveda, but its qualities as a natural adaptogen that helps fight stress and anxiety are more commonly recognized by people. Check our detailed review on blue goli gummies.
- Turmeric: it is another ground spice that is present in almost every kitchen because it is usually used for flavoring food. It also contains some chemicals which are clinically proven to provide some significant health benefits like reducing swelling. Turmeric is also often recognized as an antioxidant and immunity booster.
- Nutmeg: It is another adaptogen that works as a sedative for our body. Nutmeg has very similar characteristics to Ashwagandha. It too de-stresses the body, helps it relax, as well as improves sleep quality.
- Milk: this is one of the most common ingredients we are greatly accustomed to. Even when all of us are aware of the several essential nutrients that milk contains, it’s important to remember that Milk has an amino acid called tryptophan. This Amino induces sleep too.
If you have cooked something in the past, then you must know that in the kitchen it’s not a contest between quantity vs quality. Rather, it is the quantity that creates quality. Therefore, before donning the hat of the MasterChef, we need to jot down the quantity of the ingredients required for creating the perfect blend of your beverage.
- ¼ Tablespoon Ashwagandha: you can choose any brand of ashwagandha you like or find reliable.
- 1 Tablespoon turmeric powder: the same goes with turmeric, organic or regular turmeric won’t make much of a difference.
- ½ Tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ Tablespoon nutmeg.
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup of Milk: you can use normal milk, however, in case you are a vegan, then you also have the option of almond milk or oat milk to choose from
- Pour 1 cup of milk (of your choice) into a pan and put it on a stove to boil for a couple of minutes.
- Once the milk starts simmering add the ingredients in the following order: cinnamon, turmeric, nutmeg, ashwagandha. Whisk it properly.
- Then add the coconut oil, and stir it well.
- Let the milk boil until you can see the bubbles forming. Once that starts happening, reduce the flame to low and let the ingredients simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- If you want to want to, you can froth the liquid with a frothing wand. This is an optional step and has nothing to do with effectiveness.
- Your Moon Milk is ready once the 15 minutes are up. Take it off the stove and add honey/maple syrup according to your taste. Also, add the pinch of pepper and stir it well again.
- Transfer it to a cup or mug, whichever you prefer, and enjoy the hot drink.
With all the ingredients at your disposal, making the Moon Milk is very simple. Just pour some milk into a pan and let it boil for a few minutes.
Although keep in mind that you don’t have to boil it all the way, so keep an eye out for the simmering. Once that appears, add all your ingredients one by one except Coconut oil. Whisk the other ingredients well, before adding the oil. Then stir the milk after adding the oil.
The oil might not completely mix with the milk, hence, to negate that you can use the option of frothing. However, it’s not a mandatory step, it’s up to your will. Let the ingredients boil for about 10 minutes, and when done, let the mix stay for a few minutes before taking it off the stove.
Add Honey/Maple Syrup according to your wish, alongside a pinch of pepper, and your Moon Milk is ready to serve.
Benefits of Moon Milk
1. Stress buster: In today’s world, nobody can say that they are living a completely stress-free life. In one form or the other, we all are surrounded by stress.
Experts believe that these stressors that cause stress are always present in plain sight, yet we cannot see them.
From maintaining healthy relationships to managing monthly dues, everything is a potential stressor that leads to mental as well as physical fatigue. So, what is the solution?
Moon Milk has a natural adaptogen, which is proven to help relax the mind. The reason why we feel stressed is that we don’t have the clarity of how to get work done. But if you have a relaxed mind, then your productivity will increase, and simultaneously you would be able to get more work done. Hence, the stress will decrease.
2. Sleep enhancer: In this fast-paced world, idioms such as sleep like a child, sleep like a rock, or sleep like a log, have become redundant.
Everyone is busy in a competition where they have to always be the best version of themselves to beat their other competitors.
However, nobody is willing to stop for a moment and ask themselves whether this actually guarantees success.
The answer is no. It does not guarantee success, but what it does guarantee is anxiety and sleepless nights. The phenomena of tossing and turning in the bed, hoping, praying, and at times begging for sleep to come, is what people get.
That is where Moon Milk comes in. Now it is obvious that people cannot give up the grind for a better life and a secure future. Although what they can do is consume Moon Milk, which has ingredients like Nutmeg and Ashwagandha.
These ingredients, along with milk, are known to be natural sleep inducers that have helped people over the years to get a sound sleep at night.
A good night’s sleep will not only refresh you but also help maintain a healthy immune system.
3. Anti-inflammation: Did you know that inflammation is actually good for your body? Well, now you do. According to experts, inflammation helps fight viruses and bacterial infections in your body. It also helps in repairing damages in your body.
However, it is only considered good for an acute amount of time. When Inflammation becomes chronic, it starts attacking your body’s own tissues.
Experts believe that chronic inflammation can lead to conditions such as Cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, or even heart disease.
That’s where moon milk comes in handy. It contains turmeric which is said to be helpful with fighting bodily inflammation.
Turmeric contains curcumin, which is a bioactive substance that can fight inflammation.
Moon Milk Vs Golden Milk
Golden milk and Moon Milk are two similar ayurvedic beverages that originated from tropical Asia. But their ingredients, and as a result, their purposes, tend to differ from one another.
While on one hand Golden Milk is known for milk mixed with ingredients like turmeric and ginger, Moon Milk’s main ingredient is Ashwagandha and Nutmeg.
Golden Milk is consumed for all-round betterment of the body. With turmeric being its main ingredient, the beverage has rich antioxidants and anti-inflammatory qualities. In a nutshell, Golden Milk proffers all-around health benefits, from treating diseases to improving immunity.
Moon Milk, unlike Golden Milk, is used to relieve stress and help you sleep better. Although it has several other benefits, some of them similar to that of Golden Milk, but the idea at the heart of Moon Milk is to help you feel relaxed and have a sound sleep.
Moon Milk is a very useful drink to be consumed daily to reduce stress-related issues and enjoy some good sleep. What’s catchy about this beverage is that you don’t need to have a splendid set of culinary skills to make it, nor does it require a lot of time or effort to prepare.
Hence, even if you are a working person who leaves home early and comes late back at home, sparing 15 minutes for a drink that has so many benefits to offer should not be a hard thing for you to do.
Although, if you still have some doubts, then it is always advisable to consult a doctor or a dietician. After all, when in doubt, we should always reach for the expert’s opinion. In this case, doctors and dieticians are the only people that can help us, since no two people are wired the same way.
Turmeric benefits: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-662/turmeric
- How to Make Apple Cider Vinegar Taste Good – Here’s Your Answer - December 7, 2021
- Apple Cider Vinegar for Allergies – Read This Before You Use ACV - November 27, 2021
- Apple Cider Vinegar for Toothache – A Perfect Home-Remedy? - November 17, 2021