What happens if you eat too many vitamin gummies, Know the Details

the downside of eating too many vitamins
Spread the love

The fact that gummy vitamins taste delicious is the product’s primary selling feature, yet, this quality makes them susceptible to being overconsumed by youngsters or adults. Is it possible to consume an excessive amount of vitamins in the form of gummy vitamins? What you need to know about the potential side effects of ingesting more than the recommended serving size of commercial gummy vitamins is presented in the following paragraphs.

If you or your child consumes excessive gummy vitamins, you or your child may have some adverse effects; however, these effects will probably be relatively moderate. This is especially the case if the child only takes a single dose of a relatively modest quantity of vitamins, such as a handful.

As they contain minerals like zinc, magnesium, and manganese, which can become poisonous to the body in very high amounts, eating hundreds of gummy vitamin supplements at once is considered a single instance of overdosing on those nutrients. In addition, fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamins A, D, E, and K have the potential to accumulate rapidly in the body, which can result in significant health hazards such as damage to a variety of organs and systems, including the brain. Eating handfuls of gummies over time is also considered excessive and can produce long-term high levels of vitamins and minerals, which may lead to significant health concerns.

Water soluble and Fat soluble Vitamins consumptions

Side Effects of Gummy Vitamin Overdose

Water Soluble

The following water-soluble vitamins have safe upper intake levels (ULs), as excessive consumption of these vitamins can result in undesirable side effects:

  • Vitamin C. Even though vitamin C has a limited potential for toxicity, excessive amounts can lead to gastrointestinal distress, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and cramping. Even at levels as low as 6 grams daily, migraines are possible.
  • Vitamin B3 (niacin). Niacin can cause high blood pressure, abdominal pain, impaired vision, and liver damage when taken from nicotinic acid and ingested in elevated amounts of 1–3 grams daily. Vitamin B6 prevents these side effects by acting as an anti-inflammatory (pyridoxine). When B6 is used excessively over a prolonged period, severe neurological symptoms, skin lesions, sensitivity to light, nausea, and heartburn can develop. Some symptoms might manifest at a daily intake of 1–6 grams of B6.
  • Vitamin B9 (folate). When taken in supplement form, excessive folate or folic acid may v the immune system and hide a potentially severe vitamin B12 deficiency.

Source: Howcast

In the video Molly lee says “It’s important to remember that taking too much of one particular vitamin in supplement form can lead to a vitamin overdose. Specifically, the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, and E are the ones that you’re more at risk of overdosing on. It’s important to note that this typically happens through high supplement intake, not through dietary sources. So, if you do take vitamin supplements, make sure you don’t overdo it, because an overdose can be toxic. For example, a vitamin A overdose can cause symptoms such as blurred vision, dizziness, and headaches. A vitamin D overdose can lead to nausea, fatigue, a loss of appetite, and even kidney stones. And a vitamin E overdose can cause hypertension, muscle weakness, and severe fatigue. The good news is that you can easily recover from a vitamin overdose by simply reducing the dosage. And, it’s important to remember that the definition of a supplement is something that completes or enhances something when added to it. So, it’s important to view supplements as a complement to real, fresh, healthy food, not as a replacement or a quick fix.”

Fat Soluble

Some unwanted effects of taking in too many fat-soluble vitamins include the following:

  • Vitamin A. Vitamin A toxicity, also known as hypervitaminosis A, is most commonly connected with supplementation, though it can arise from eating vitamin-A-rich foods. Nausea, high intracranial pressure, coma, and even death are all possible outcomes. 
  • Vitamin D. High vitamin D supplementation is associated with severe side effects such as nausea, vomiting, and irregular heartbeat. In addition, it might cause organ harm by increasing blood calcium levels. 
  • Vitamin E. Hemorrhagic stroke, internal bleeding, and other medical complications have all been linked to excessive vitamin E supplementation. 

How many gummy vitamins are too many?

The formulation of the vitamins and the individual’s health status are two elements that influence how many gummy vitamins it would take to cause an overdose. Consuming 20 gummy vitamins may increase your risk of adverse effects such as stomach upset and diarrhea. That’s partly because sugar alcohols, included in most gummy vitamins, might aggravate existing stomach problems.

People with kidney disease may also be more susceptible to the accumulation of vitamins A, E, and K. Detoxification occurs in the kidneys, which recycle vitamins into the bloodstream. The kidneys of a person with kidney illness may not be able to handle even a tiny amount of vitamin or mineral supplementation, so even a handful of gummy vitamins could be dangerous.

Symptoms of too many vitamins

Large doses of vitamin C (more than 2,000 milligrams) can cause stomach upset and diarrhea. Blood glucose levels may appear higher than at very high doses, which can be dangerous for people with diabetes. They may be unsteady, hot, and possibly have a seizure or pass out from low blood glucose.

Long-term, especially high-dose oral zinc consumption might induce gastrointestinal issues and other health problems (anything over 40mg). Overexposure to zinc can lead to copper insufficiency, taste changes, hematologic and neurological consequences, and drug interactions.

Conclusion

Children’s gummy vitamins often have too little of a concentration of vitamins and minerals to produce a lethal overdose. However, parents and teachers should still consider accidental overdose a medical emergency and contact poison control immediately. Gummy vitamins are another item that should be stored where kids can’t get to them.

FAQ

Does vitamin gummies make you poop?

Magnesium and vitamin C are two vitamins and minerals linked to gastrointestinal distress. Constipation is a common side effect of taking some supplements, including calcium and iron. Consult a physician before beginning or ending a supplement regimen, mainly if it includes vitamins or minerals.

My child ate four vitamin gummies?

Get in touch with Poison Control immediately if you or your child has consumed excessive gummy vitamins. However, it’s unlikely that eating too many gummy vitamins causes you to require immediate medical attention. Overconsumption of gummy vitamins can lead to stomach upset, bowel issues, and even migraines. 

How to know if you're taking too many vitamin gummies?

The Institute of Medicine releases “Dietary Reference Intakes” for most nutrients. For most nutrients, the Institute specifies a recommended daily allowance, an appropriate intake that indicates a “best guess” estimate of the least quantity needed for health, and a tolerated upper intake limit that marks the highest levels considered safe. Compare your daily vitamin intake to the Institute’s guidelines or evaluate yourself for symptoms to discover if it’s too high.

Can one-day vitamins cause constipation?

Stomach issues like constipation, diarrhea, or nausea could develop. These side effects should pass as your body becomes used to the drug. Tell your doctor or pharmacist immediately if these side effects persist or worsen.

Overconsumption of fat-soluble vitamins results in?

Overuse symptoms from prolonged use include lightheadedness, blurred vision, and stunted development. Vitamin A toxicity is associated with an increased risk of bone loss, hip fractures, and severe birth abnormalities.

DEALWEEK

SUBSCRIBE AND GET WEEKLY ALERTS ON YOUR FAVORITE GUMMIES! - DON’T MISS OUT!

+ posts

Dr. Susan Francis is a passionate medical professional with over 4.5 years of experience in the field. She received her medical degree from the University of Michigan and completed her residency at the Mayo Clinic.

In addition to her clinical work, Dr. Francis has a strong interest in medical writing and editing. She has edited numerous articles for medical journals and is a regular contributor to several healthcare publications.

Dr. Francis is committed to promoting accurate and accessible medical information to the public. In her free time, she enjoys staying up to date on the latest medical research and volunteering at local healthcare clinics.


Spread the love

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Index