The Candy cane is a specialized candy stick with a mint taste in them. It comes in red and white stripes, having the shape of an umbrella stick. Since its introduction to the world in 1844, this candy has been liked by various people. Many have this thought in mind whether dogs can eat candy canes or not. Well, it is better not to feed your dogs or pets with candy canes. Though, the peppermint for dogs present in the candy canes might not be harmful; the presence of toxins like xylitol can be harmful to them. It is known as an artificial sweetener that can prove to be deadly for dogs. Indeed, dogs and candy canes have been an essential part of consideration among animal lovers.
Candy Cane Ingredients
Candy Cane Wrapper can hurt the dogs too
There is a possibility that the candy cane wrapper may hurt your dog. If your pet has ingested the wrapper; it can cause a serious blockage in their intestine. This can pose a threat to their life too. Of course, you would not like to see your precious pet in any kind of problem. It is always better to keep a watch over the things eaten by your beloved pets for safety purposes.
Peppermint Candy Canes & Xylitol
The xylitol candy canes having peppermint are hazardous for dogs because it is a toxic substance that can lead to severe ear infections in your pet. Besides this, it tends to drop your dog’s blood sugar level and can severely damage their liver. Of course, no one wants that their beloved pet should be troubled in any way. As a sweet, xylitol can get stuck in your dog’s teeth and lead to tooth decay too. Some of the other health problems of consuming peppermint candy cane with xylitol can lead to loss of motor control, seizures, and tremors. Even if the dog or puppies eat a small number of such candies; it is important to take them to a doctor.
Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs
When a dog eats candy canes with xylitol in them, they can do vomit. It follows with low blood sugar, extreme weakness, reduced physical activity, staggering, seizures, and collapsing. The xylitol gets absorbed in the bloodstream leading to the above-mentioned health complications.
List of Holiday Treats Your Dogs Can Eat
Alternative Pet-Friendly Recipe
- Breakfast Scramble: It contains scrambled eggs with finely chopped veggies like bell pepper and spinach.
- Sweet Potato Treats: It requires cutting the sweet potato in thick strips with cinnamon poured over it and slices of bacon placed. Just bake this and serve it to your dog after cooling.
- Banana Ice-cream: Peel two bananas, churn them in a mixer, add some milk, and mix it. Let it freeze for some time and serve to your dog.
- Beef and Veggie Crockpot: Just cut some veggies like spinach and carrot in small pieces. Mix it with brown rice, chopped beef, and beans. Stir it with water for 3 to 4 hours on slow gas. Serve to your pet after cooling.
- Meatballs: Mix finely chopped beef, egg yolks, mashed carrots, and oat bran in a bowl. Make small balls and fry them. Let the meatballs cool at room temperature. Then, you can give it to the puppy.
Dogs are the most faithful person in the world and their health is the priority of their owner. It asserts that dogs should avoid candy cane sweets because they contain a hazardous element called xylitol.
I am building a lifestyle that nourishes my soul and satisfies my passions, which include traveling, indulging in sweet treats, and being physically fit. I am also a lover of dogs (cynophile) and cats (ailurophile). Additionally, I am striving to live a vegan lifestyle.